Experience Saskatoon Transit
Saskatoon Transit is exploring new ways in which to promote sustainable alternatives to car use and to support friendly forms of transportation such as walking, ride sharing, and public transit. There is huge potential in this area for older adults to become more active in multi-modal transportation and Saskatoon Transit desires to be a catalyst for this kind of change. This summer there will be several opportunities for you to test drive transit and Experience Saskatoon Transit as a 1st or 2nd time transit rider.
Older adults have numerous challenges as they consider a change in their mode of transportation. These include: having a support system to find a new way of being independent and mobile, coping with higher volumes of traffic, and adapting to a new way of life without driving. Experience Saskatoon Transit is a first step – positive experience that will help you overcome these initial challenges of travelling on transit.
Who can benefit from this travel training experience
- Older adults and their families
- Those already using transit but lacking confidence or having some anxiety about transit
- Those with a physical and/or cognitive disability
- Those with a mobility aide (ie: walker, wheelchair)
- Those who would like to learn about public transit but who are still capable of driving
- Those who are new to Saskatoon and/or have never tried transit before
Details about Experience Saskatoon Transit
- In partnership with SCOA and the Bus Buddy program, Saskatoon Transit will be offering 2 hour Experience Saskatoon Transit sessions this summer
- In this 2 hour travel training session you will be introduced to Saskatoon Transit staff, learn about bus fares, how to board and disembark a bus, travel on a transit route, and participate in a lively “Transit 101” discussion. Each session is limited to 6 per group and availability is on a first-come basis. The times and duration of each session may vary.
- Available Dates & Times are: Wednesday, August 16 (10:00 am – 12:00)
Thursday, August 24 (1:00 pm – 3:00 pm)
Wednesday, September 13 (1:00 pm – 3:00 pm)
Thursday, September 21 (10:00 am – 12:00)
To register a spot for yourself or a group (4-6) for one of these dates, or for more information about Experience Saskatoon Transit, please contact one of the following:
Customer Support & Engagement Manager
Tel. 306.975.2990 cell 306.380.7100
Age-Friendly Community Development Coordinator
Saskatoon Council on Aging
Bus Buddy Program
About the Program
The Saskatoon Council on Aging’s Bus Buddy Program is a safe and personal introduction to the Saskatoon transit system through the assistance of trained and qualified Bus Buddy volunteers.